Thursday, June 27, 2013

Projeto Axe Bahia

Visiting the projeto axe in Bahia was probably one of the most memorable experiences of my visit to Brazil. I was amazed at how happy, refreshed, and enthusiastic all of the children were. These children are mostly found on the streets of Salvador because they have run away from some type of abuse at home. I was expecting to see something sad and depressing, but instead discovered the beauty and strength that come from compassion and believing in someone. These children come from awful circumstances and are given hope, structure, and a sense of belonging. One of the most impressive things about this project is its focus on art, music, and dance as outlets for creative expression. Most of these children are running from something, and these creative expressions provide a safe avenue for them to travel. Rather than turning to drugs or the streets for survival, these children can creatively express themselves in a nurturing environment designed to help them prosper. I noticed that many of them just wanted to shake my hand and smile at me, and they beamed when we applauded their work. but they will never know how great their impact was on me. I will carry their smiles in my heart forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment